Wednesday, March 24, 2021

This time last year ...

Like so many others, we have been reflecting on this past year of life and while feeling an overwhelming sense of gratitude, we also have hope-filled longing for this next year to be different.

In the middle of March last year I took what felt like a very covert trip to California to see my family. I had saved money from my nannying job to buy a plane ticket and was thrilled at the prospect of going on a trip -- without kids! Then the rumblings of covid started ramping up and it seemed like the trip might be canceled. 

Without knowing what could be next or when I might even be able to see my family again, I used as many precautions as I could and just went. I carried so much angst with me about whether it was the 'right' decision and guilt about possibly transmitting the virus. It was absolutely wonderful to be home, to see family and to be in a place where spring was actually happening. But it was a super weird and terrible time as well. California went into lockdown while I was there and with the multitude of unknowns, it was a visit filled with unease.

My Dad found this in his stash of stuff. Perfect timing :)


Air travel was like nothing I have EVER experienced before. Lists of canceled flights, totally empty planes and airports. A bit creepy.

Ocean views. So so great.







Socially distanced family visiting

An amazing day in Cambria and Morro Bay. The sea air is good for my soul. 







Final morning with my parents. Really hard to say goodbye. 


No comments: