Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
He found this fantastic park ... and while it was more of a place to walk than to hike (Shanghai is f-l-a-t), it was a glorious escape from the big city. Even better ... we'd had snow flurries all day Tuesday and by Friday were able to wear shorts!
Just walking down this street on our way from the subway to the park was incredibly relaxing and refreshing.
Monday, March 22, 2010
There have been huge sand storms moving through many of the northern provinces of China. I saw pictures of the dust/dirt in Beijing that made me cringe and then yesterday noticed that it was making its way even farther south to Shanghai. Right now, everything outside is covered in a pretty thick layer of dust.
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Jason was throwing out something in the living room trash this morning and noticed one of these casually laying in the bin ... a quick check of bedroom trash bins resulted in two more in two separate rooms! Although I doubt there is any legal drinking age limit here, it is strictly prohibited at the school & in the dorm. Knowing our students, I found it really hard to believe that any of them would be this brazen or this naive...
After a quick interrogation (kidding) tonight, we did find out that a student brought empty bottles to the dorm to use as water bottles. Hmmm. A bit odd?. Another student admitted that he had drank a tiny bit, but didn't think it was a big deal since it had such low alcohol content. Unfortunately for both students, it is a big deal for the school - the principal & parents will be notified. Just the fun of our evening :)
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Sunday, March 7, 2010
1. Thank the person who nominated you for the award
2. copy the award and paste it on your blog
3. link to the person who nomiated you for the award
4. share 7 interesting things about yourself
5. nominate 7 other beautiful bloggers
4 - I slept on the floor last night in the dorm study room under a pile of blankets because I couldn't get warm enough to fall asleep in our bed ... the logical thing for most people would have been to cuddle up to their spouse. Not sure what I was thinking with that one (& neither was Jason when he found me this morning)
7 - I have been feeling a little directionless lately. This is an awesome job that I really enjoy, but on most days it's not super challenging or inspiring. I feel like I need a new hobby or something. Trying to volunteer in Shanghai has been a challenge. It seems only non-Chinese agencies allow volunteer assistance and the few that are here tend to be flooded with volunteers. So, I've been brainstorming about what I could DO. Last night, I told Jason perhaps I should become an acrobat. What do you think?
And, my blog nominations are:
1. William - Peace Corps buddy who writes incredibly well and has a passion to help the less fortunate that inspires me.
2. Kim - Friend from an LA Bible study who introduced me to the wonderful apartment in Montrose that I got to live in. Beautiful woman with a beautiful family.
3. Amanda - College acquaintance who hasn't posted in quite some time, but writes beautifully.
4. Jen - Jason's cousin-in-law who I've only met once, but who I'd love the chance to get to know better. They adopted a beautiful girl from China & put our first Chinese money in our pockets last summer.
5. April - my amazing cousin/chef and who is a ton of fun just to be around.
6. Megan - a college friend who lives in D.C. and hasn't posted in a while ...
7. Kim (#2) - living with her adorable family in the rugged beauty of New Zealand & just added a boy to their family.