We've had a few questions lately from friends/family about whether we're staying in Shanghai and/or what's next for us ... the uncomplicated (but perhaps scary to some) answer is: we don't know. We're more than O.K. with this answer because we know that God knows and that's enough for us (for now). :)
What we do (sort of) know:
- We are quite confident this is our last year as dorm parents - unlike real parents of teenagers we're actually able to quit after just two years.
- There is a very, very slim chance we'll be staying in Shanghai after this school year - the perfect job at our school would need to become available and right now it doesn't look very likely. Don't get me wrong, we really like Shanghai and really, really like our school ... we're just getting itchy feet and we're ready to be somewhere with more outdoor recreation (NATURE!) and somewhere with less than 15 million people all living in one place.
- What we're dreaming about ... we'd absolutely love to do a caretaking job again next year, but we're also applying through QSI (a non-profit international school organization with schools in nearly 30 countries) and for other random things that come up. A few weeks ago we applied to a school in the Marshall Islands and had very positive feedback, but after looking at the various options we decided it wasn't for us right now ... so, the adventure hunting continues.
This week, a caretaking job at Hearst's Wytoon Estate in NorCal came up. After seeing the below pictures, we're definitely doing a lot of day dreaming!
Images from here
For the immediate future, we're super excited that we'll get to travel back to the US again for Christmas this year! We leave in one week and are really looking forward to seeing family. We feel incredible fortunate and blessed to be able to do this!
Want to receive these updates by email? Just enter your address here:
How we got here ... with a couple babies!
We first met on July 7, 2006. We'd both quit our jobs and gotten rid of nearly all our possessions. We had joined the Peace Corps and were heading to the Kingdom of Tonga in the South Pacific. We thought we were prepared for whatever lay ahead ... neither of us had a clue.
Just over 10 months after we first met, we were MARRIED! Since then our adventures have included:
- a year in New York City, living in a Harlem brownstone apartment - going off-the-grid & into a tent-cabin on tiny Angaur island in Palau - living with a bunch of teenagers in Shanghai, China while working as dormitory parents
- off-the-grid again & into a barn on 400 forested acres in Vermont
- at the base of volcanos in beautiful Panajachel, Guatemala
And now ... on the hunt for a new career, we find ourselves in IDAHO!
We love to experience this great big world and hope you will join us for the journey!