Sunday, February 17, 2019

Learning how to be left-handed

Three weeks ago we were having a rather warm day right before another 10-day forecast of frigid temperatures. Jason & I decided to take advantage of the warmth and get the jog stroller out for a quick jog before church. Not 20 feet into it we realized how foolish we'd been. Even in the "warmth," the sidewalks were still completely iced over ... and I was on the ground before I knew it.

We continued on for 20 minutes and by the time we stopped I realized I'd hurt my right hand pretty badly. After icing, splinting and anti-inflammatory meds, a professional opinion seemed like a good idea. Fortunately, no fracture, but the doctor said I might be in a splint for up to 6 weeks. I told him I was hoping for two. Three weeks later, although much, much better, I am still in the splint.

I've been extremely grateful to at least have a working left hand and fingers on my right hand that can move at least, but I've been really surprised by the activities that are difficult or that I literally cannot do with only one hand. I expected writing and eating to be difficult, but there are a myriad of things I never thought of ... cooking and dishes were out for about 10 days, I am still struggling to cut foods that are hard, brushing teeth with a non-dominant hand was really frustrating (& my teeth never felt clean!), pushing a shopping cart is extremely difficult, putting deodorant on, and the silliest thing, I still can't pump a liquid soap dispenser with my right hand. Not to mention trying to wrangle my wild children.

It's been interesting and has definitely given me both a lot of frustration and A LOT of appreciation for those that are dealing with more serious/permanent limb issues. Jason has been amazing (of course!) through all of this, doing his best to keep up with the things I need help with and taking on a lot more of the household chores. So thankful to have a teammate! 





























Lucky for me, I also have a wonderful snow shovel operator here at the house!



No comments: