Thursday, November 26, 2009

Being thankful for ... squat toilets?


















We've found Shanghai to be a city of many toilets. I have been amazed at the number of public toilets available (for free) throughout the city. Learning to use a squat toilet successfully has left me feeling quite proud of myself ... and now that I've also learned to never leave home without my own TP, I feel right at home :)

Here's a couple picts of one of our many public toilets:



































Even with the vast number of available public toilets, the below is an all too common sight. Men just use any wall as an available urinal - even if it is 10 feet from a toilet. While running one morning this week, I ran past 3 men all in a row relieving themselves and we find that we often have to be on the lookout for fresh "rivers" running down the sidewalks as we walk.
























On a more serious note, one of the biggest things I've been thinking about this year as Thanksgiving time has come and gone is how thankful I am to the many people around the globe who have adopted us in one way or another. I feel so overwhelmed by the unselfish love people have shared with us, often while we've still been strangers to them. This unexpected, gracious generosity is something we continue to experience and something we will never forget.



1 comment:

Molly W. said...

ah...bathrooms in China, a hehem...unique thing, aren't they? Way to go on always bringing the TP. (and I'm glad you've made friends everywhere you've gone- esp since I can't be there!) :)