Sunday, February 20, 2011

A "special" treat

Jason & I have been fighting nasty coughs for the past week and spent most of our time indoors hacking our lungs out (and feeling super grateful for jobs that allow/require us to stay at home). 

The dormitory ayi (means "maid" and also "auntie" -- not sure on the correlation there) has been really sweet and excitedly shared a special treat with us on Thursday in celebration of the last day of the Chinese Spring Festival which began on Chinese New Year.


















Seeing the coloring, we both assumed that these little globules were filled with red bean paste (which is pretty decent tasting).  Jason popped one into his mouth and was completely surprised by what was inside instead!


















What was actually inside was a sweet, black, grainy mixture that we had never tasted before.  Having dissected one, I tried a whole one and it wasn't too bad, just really different than we'd expected.  I described this to one of our students who thought it was sesame ... don't be too jealous ;-)

On a more fun note, Olivia (my friend Natalie's baby) turned one month old this week and is already rocking a very cute style!

3 comments:

williamqliu said...

I've had that before!! It's definitely a uniquely textured food, slimy on the outside and almost grainy inside. Also is a mess. Bonus points if you guys can eat them with chop sticks next time ;)

Shan in Japan said...

Looks like black sesame to me. That is really popular here these days, although I don't think I've had it in this slimy form before-I am pretty sure we have it in mochi, though, which looks just like that without the liquid:)

Molly W. said...

You two are incredibly brave, I'll give ya that.