Friday, March 18, 2011

The pride of a parent

Last night, Jason and I got to go to our school's "Battle of the Bands" competition.  We were really excited to be able to go out at night, but mostly because one of our dorm students was entered in the competition.  It turned out to be an awesome event -- there are so many talented (& very brave) students at our school.  There were bands from each grade level, from 6th all the way up to 12th.  (And, the majority of the songs were ones I actually knew/liked so I didn't feel completely OLD)  Really cool! 

For the past year and a half I've been able to go to speech competitions, Christmas musicals & sports events to support our students and I've been amazed at the burst of pride I feel while watching them perform/compete. 

Our student, Frank, plays guitar and this was my first time to get to hear him play.  I have to say, his band totally rocked!  At the end of the night though, they did not walk away with the 'best band' award and I found myself genuinely surprised because I really felt like they'd been the best ... and then I had to wonder if this was a common syndrome with parents, always thinking their kid is the best???



No comments: