Friday, May 29, 2009

Monkey see, monkey do

Since we moved here, I've been trying to get a good photo of a monkey. Angaur is known as "monkey island" of Palau due it being the only island with monkeys (& they are trying to keep it that way since monkeys are so destructive to the local agriculture). Unfortunately, the monkeys here are quite skittish and tend to get away before I have a chance to even focus my camera on them.

Often, when I review my pictures, this is what I end up with -- I can't find any hint of a monkey in here, can you?


















Or I get these great hind-end shots! (that's our house rain gutter in the upper right)
























These are the better ones I've gotten, but I am still not completely happy as you can't see the monkey's face really in any of them ... they are incredibly entertaining though! We often startle them when we are running and all of a sudden, there will be 30-40 of them jumping crazily from the tree they are in (trying to escape us I guess), it is quite a show as they leap incredible distances and grap onto branches/vines of neighboring trees. Jason's only seen one miss their branch twice!
















No comments: